You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. –Wayne Gretzky
Feb 20, 2015, 12:14am MST UPDATED: Feb 20, 2015, 7:33am MST
Patrick O’Grady Managing Editor-Phoenix Business Journal
Let me clear this up: I’m not rich. I have a truck that would make Warren Buffett proud, but that’s about the only thing I have in common with the Oracle of Omaha.
Yet, every year when the Business Journal’s list of the Phoenix metro’s wealthiest ZIP codes comes out, my five digits always seem to make the list. How did I end up there? The short answer is simple: schools. But more on that in a bit.
Every year I shake my head and marvel at the list. Clearly it’s wrong. Our Research Director Dale Brown and Esri, the company that compiles the data, assure me that it is not. I’ll take their word for it.
- Here’s where Arizona’s millionaires live (Slideshow)
- The List: Scottsdale dominates wealthiest ZIP codes list, but wealthy live throughout greater Phoenix
- The top 10 wealthiest ZIP codes across Phoenix in 2014
- Click the accompanying image for a slideshow of the top five wealthiest ZIP codes.
- Granted, I don’t live in the posh Paradise Valley 85253, which once again was tops on the list. I worked at a paper there for a year, so I’m fairly familiar with it. Nor do I live in Tempe 85284 among the high-tech workers whose jobs economic developers are trying to replicate as fast as they can.
- And I can’t claim a home in Phoenix 85045 — the western section of Ahwatukee — or any of the Scottsdale ZIPs that come next. Mine is a little further down the list: lucky No. 13 in north Peoria.
- The biggest benefit I had to living where I do is knowledge. You don’t cover cities and school districts without picking up where the value is in the good neighborhoods, where the best schools are, where freeways and jobs are. That inside information is the best part of my job. Buying a house in an upscale neighborhood is like a perk of knowing things.
- That and what I learned from my parents. You don’t stretch to the outside of town and get a big house for little money. You live closer in, and you find the best schools you can afford.
- Ultimately, that is why I live where I do, and I’d hazard a guess that if you picked up a copy of this week’s issue and looked at the map and correlated it with school districts, you’d find some of the best working today are in those 25 ZIP codes. Money brings a lot of things. Among them, parents who have the time to be more involved. Shockingly, that has a lot to do with student achievement.
- That’s not a knock on other ZIPs. That’s just reality. And it’s not just in Phoenix where this happens.
- I wish it were different. Until it is, I’ll live where the schools are.
- So if you’re interested in that list, it’s on page 22 in this week’s print edition. Unsurprisingly, there are wealthy people in Scottsdale. There also are wealthy people in Glendale, Goodyear, Gilbertand Waddell.
- And if you’re interested in a full year’s worth of research, there’s always the Book of Lists. It’s out now, and you can get it in a print or digital format. I would also be remiss if I didn’t give you Dale Brown‘s contact information in case you want to know about or be included on one of the 110-plus lists we do every year. He can be reached at email@example.com or 602-308-6511.
- Patrick O’Grady is managing editor of the Phoenix Business Journal.
I am actively looking to build relationships with Real Estate Investors and Owner / Users for Phoenix – Scottsdale – Tucson – Maricopa County – Pima County – Pinal County – Cochise County – Santa Cruz County –Yavapai County – Gila County – Arizona , USA
Feel free to contact Walter regarding any of these stories, the current market, distressed commercial real estate opportunities and needs, your property or your Investment Needs for Comercial Properties in Phoenix.
View my listings and my profile at:
Investors and owner/users need to really know the market before making a move in commercial investment properties as the market has a lot of moving parts today. What’s going on socio-economically, what’s going on demographically, what’s going on with location, with competing businesses, with public policy in general — all of these things affect the quality of your commercial properties/investment properties. Therefore, you need a broker who understands commercial properties. Please go to my web-site and get all the newsflashes and updates in Commercial Real Estate.
Check out my professional profile and connect with me on LinkedIn.
Follow me on Facebook:
Follow me on Twitter:
Follow Me on Google+
Walter Unger CCIM, CCSS, CCLS
I am a successful Commercial / Investment Real Estate Broker in Arizona now for 20 years. I am also a commercial land specialist in Phoenix and a Landspecialist in Arizona. If you have any questions about Commercial / Investment Properties in Phoenix or Commercial / Investment Properties in Arizona, I will gladly sit down with you and share my expertise and my professional opinion with you. I am also in this to make money therefore it will be a win-win situation for all of us.
Please reply by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on my cell 520-975-5207 or Office:480-948-5554
Walter Unger CCIM
Associate Broker, West USA Commercial Real Estate Advisers
7077 E. Marilyn Road, Bldg 4, Suite 130
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
Office : 480-948-5554
View my listings and my profile at:
a little about me and my expertise – video
Delivering the New Standard of Excellence in Commercial Real Estate
- Commercial Real Estate Scottsdale
- Commercial Real Estate Phoenix
- Commercial Real Estate Arizona
- Commercial Investment Properties Phoenix
- Commercial Investment Properties Scottsdale
- Commercial Investment Properties Arizona
- Land Specialist Arizona
- Arizona Land Specialist
- Land Specialist Phoenix
- Phoenix Land Specialist
- Land For Sale Phoenix
- Land for sale Arizona
- Commercial Properties For Sale Phoenix
- Commercial Real Estate Sales Phoenix
- Commercial Properties Phoenix
- Commercial Properties Arizona
- Commercial Land Specialist Phoenix
- Commercial Land Phoenix
- Multifamily land Phoenix
- Retail Land Phoenix
- Industrial Land Phoenix
- Land Commercial Phoenix
- Land Retail Phoenix
- Land Industrial Phoenix
- Land Multifamily Phoenix
- Industrial Land for sale Phoenix
- Land Industrial
- Investment Real Estate
Disclaimer of Liability
The information in this blog-newsletter is for general guidance only, and does not constitute the provision of legal advice, tax advice, accounting services, investment advice, or professional consulting of any kind. The information provided herein should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional tax, accounting, legal, or other competent advisers. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult a professional adviser who has been provided with all pertinent facts relevant to your particular situation. Tax articles in this e-newsletter are not intended to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding accuracy-related penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. The information is provided “as is,” with no assurance or guarantee of completeness, accuracy, or timeliness of the information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose.